New Course from Beverly Cusick PT, MS, C/NDT, COF & Susan Hastings PT, DPT, PCS!
In children born premature and those with diplegic cerebral palsy (CP), findings obtained with diffusion tensor imaging (DTI) have brought significant challenges to the common definition of CP as “a motor disorder caused by a static lesion to the upper motor neurons resulting in spasticity”.
Beverly Cusick, PT, MS. NDT, COF, discusses findings by researchers that challenge the common notion that spasticity is present, that it causes contractures and gait pathology in children with diplegia, and that treating spasticity is safe and effective in the long run. She brings new insights to a review of the characteristics of stiffened soft tissues, and proposes several evidence-based alternatives to “spasticity-reducing” interventions that do no harm.
Susan Hastings. PT. DPT. PCS, discusses requirements for motor learning to occur, the state of the literature on the use of electrical stimulation for children with CP, and embeds her experience and exciting new discoveries using postural control training, serial casting, modified AFOs, electrical stimulation and whole body vibration as treatment- and motor-learning-augmenting interventions in the context of an enlightening series of videotapes of a child with diplegic CP spanning 10 years
Extra: The Story of a Collaboration
Billi and Susie can offer a second day of parallel lab sessions, each of which can be open to a maximum of 18 didactic program attendees. If both labs are offered, you may attend the lab of your choice.
Functional Electrical Stimulation for the Child with Cerebral Palsy (Hastings)
Susie offers a thorough introduction to FES technology and hands-on practice with the tools of choice:
- Learn the tools: Review model choices, functions, and pediatric treatment settings for functional electrical stimulation and Whole Body Vibration (WBV) units.
- Choose the tools: Learn tips for selecting the equipment for best pediatric use and outcomes.
- Gather your ammunition: Review the supporting literature regarding the use of FES and WBV in children with cerebral palsy.
- See how it works via selected case presentations demonstrating the use of FES (multiple units) and WBV in clinical sessions with children.
- Try them out with hands-on practice on FES units and whole body vibration (depending on equipment availability).
Bringing Orthopedic Assessment Findings to Management Planning (Cusick).
In this closely-supervised Day Two lab, Billi will help you:
- Polish your orthopedic assessment skills, learning to execute 10 lower limb musculoskeletal and pelvic postural assessment procedures under Billi’s supervision.
- Apply what you‘ve learned to a case – live subject if possible, or videotaped if not, to contribute to the formation of a prioritized management plan.